Friday, September 16, 2011

Penne Pasta with Meat Sauce

I thought I would share one of my favorite new dishes on my birthday! :) Where did the time go? My birthday snuck up on me :P

I am a big fan of spaghetti and spaghetti-like dishes, if you haven't noticed already.

This one definitely did NOT disappoint. It was fast, easy and I love the meat sauce. I think my husband may like it too because he likes lots of meat in spaghetti sauce!
Penne Pasta with Meat Sauce | A quick, simple dish that's meat sauce is outrageously delicious #recipe #pasta


(Print)
What you need:
  • 1/2 lb. penne pasta
  • Salt
  • Olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped (I used dried)
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • Red Pepper flakes
  • Dried thyme
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1/2 tsp. dried basil
  • 28 oz. can chunky tomato sauce (original recipe recommends Muir Glen - I agree!)
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1 tbsp. fresh parsley
Directions:

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tbsp. salt and bring back to a boil. 
Add pasta and cook, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain.
While waiting for the water to boil the first time, heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. 
Add chopped onion, Italian seasoning and a dash of red pepper flakes. 
Cook for 5 minutes until onions are soft. Add garlic, dash of thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. 
Cook for 1 minute. Remove and place in a bowl.
In same skillet, cook ground beef, crumbling as it browns. Drain, if needed.

Add cooked onions once beef is no longer pink. Add tomato sauce, basil and sugar. 
Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, uncovered.
Salt and pepper sauce to taste and stir in cooked penne pasta. 
Serve topped with fresh parsley. (Or in my case with dried!)
    Recipe from Simplyrecipes.com

    No comments :