Friday, January 27, 2012

DIY Sweetened Condensed Milk

I shared a shortcut for ranch dressing mix and have been searching for many more shortcuts since then. Recently Loy posted a shortcut for sweetened condensed milk. It just so happens that I was trying to make fudge and had happened to have run out of sweetened condensed milk during the middle of NY getting a foot of snow dumped on us after it had rained all day and iced over. There was no way I was going to the store and I wanted to make another batch of fudge for my kids who can't eat peanuts/peanut butter yet. So thank you, Loy, for posting this! My kids were quite happy because of it :)


(Printable Version)
Recipe from Grandma Loy's Kitchen

What you need:
  • 4 cups sugar, blended until super fine
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • 1 cup dry nonfat milk
  • 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
Directions:

Combine ingredients in a large saucepan. Mix well.

Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted.
Divide into thirds, 1 1/4 to 1 1/3 cups each, into mason jars.
Refrigerate overnight before using. It keeps up to 2 weeks in the fridge and 6 months in the freezer.

    Linked up at...
    Button

    4 comments :

    Anonymous said...

    I love shortcuts like this! They make me wonder how anyone ever came up with them... but I sure am glad they did!

    Loy said...

    Thanks for trying this recipe. I love it and use it often. A couple of other bloggers have tried it and liked it, too. When I posted the recipe, it was from a recipe card I had written and I did not know where I got it. I have since learned that it came from Gloria Pitzer, The Recipe Detective so I would like to acknowledge that. Have a great weekend.

    Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

    Oh yesss! Thanks for sharing! Believe it or not, there have been a couple of times when I didn't feel like going to the store just for condensed milk so I didn't make what I wanted :)

    Veronica Miller said...

    How cool! So does it taste the same and have that same thick consistency?