Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Unstuffed Pepper Skillet

One of my personal favorite oldies, but goodies recipe is Stuffed Peppers. It's a great recipe, but sometimes I don't feel like boiling a bunch of peppers and going through all that hassle. When I first saw this recipe, I was overjoyed (no pun intended with my source). This recipe uses ground turkey instead of ground beef and has a little more flavor to it than my tried and true recipe. Plus it was a helluva lot easier! :)

(Print)
What you need:
  • 1/2 lb. ground turkey (we used a full lb)
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 medium carrots, sliced (next time I may grate them)
  • 3 bell peppers, seeded and cut into large chunks
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoniong
  • 1/8 tsp. chili powder
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice
  • Mozzarella cheese, for topping
Directions:
 
In a skillet, brown turkey with onion until no longer pink. Drain, if necessary.

Add peppers, carrots, and 1/3 cup water. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

Stir in tomato sauce and Italian seasoning. Cover.

Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
Add cooked rice and cook for an additional 10 minutes until heated through.

Serve with mozzarella cheese, which we did, but after I got a picture!



{Click here to see what blog hops I participate in}

No comments :