Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Cookie Week: Peanut Butter Blossoms


For as long as I can remember, peanut butter blossoms have been a Christmas cookie. My mom made them every year, whether it was with the little chocolate stars or Hershey kisses. Personally, I prefer the Hershey kisses - and it turns out, so does my 5 year old. I woke up the day after I made the cookies (and hadn't gotten a finished picture of them yet) to find almost all of my cookies had a bite of the kiss missing.

Now my Matthew is a sweet boy and all - he takes after his mommy with a lot of things. A raging sweet tooth is definitely one of those things he gets from me. So I had to re-kiss my cookies and put them out of his reach. I'm so happy that I'm not the only one to enjoy this recipe from my mom!
Peanut Butter Blossoms: Just in time for the holidays, this peanut buttery cookie is rolled in sugar and topped with a kiss! #cookies #peanutbutter #chocolate #dessert


(Print)
What you need:
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup for rolling
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp. milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • Hershey kisses or stars
Directions:
Beat shortening and peanut butter together for about 30 seconds.

Add 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat until combined.

Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Beat until combined.

Beat in flour, a little at a time.

Shape into 1-inch size balls and roll in 1/4 cup sugar.

Place on cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 350*.

Immediately top with a Hershey kiss, pressing down. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

Recipe from Kathy Westmoreland

 Recreated by Join Us, Pull Up a Chair for the 2014 SRC Cookie Carnival {here}

2 comments :

Unknown said...

I Love this cookie recipe! I'm so excited to try it, thanks for putting it up :)

Danavee said...

I could eat my weight in these!!!!!! YUM!