Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Frito Chili Pie

The first time I had frito pie was when I moved to Tennessee and had Petro's. At the time (in 2000), it was a huge thing in East TN at the very least. Everyone loved Petro's and talked about getting them. I was like..."What on earth is Petro's?" I thought it was a gas station or something. I was very confused. Then I found out it was chili served over Fritos and topped with cheese and sour cream and all kinds of goodness. Of course, it was a yummy food experience and I've been hooked ever since.

P Diddly Dub's recipe for it has a great combination of spices and it's one of the best, if not THE best, frito pies I've ever had. If you've never had frito pie, you should absolutely try it. The chili is just amazing over the top of the crunchy, salty corn chips. I love mine with cheddar, onion, and sour cream, but the toppings can easily be switched up!
Frito Chili Pie - this recipe has an amazing combination of flavors and is sure to be a hit! #maindish #chili


(Print)
What you need:
  • 2 lb. ground beef
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 can Rotel
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1 Tbsp. cumin
  • 2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup masa or cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • Fritos corn chips
  • Cheddar cheese
  • Red onion, finely diced
Directions:

Brown ground beef on medium-high with garlic.

Add tomato sauce, Rotel, salt, oregano, cumin, and chili powder. 
Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes.

Add beans. Cover and cook on low for 20 more minutes.

Mix together masa/cornmeal and warm water. Add to the pot and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes longer.

Serve over Fritos and top with cheddar cheese, red onion, and other desired toppings.


Recipe from Pioneer Woman

{Click here to see what blog hops I participate in}

2 comments :

April said...

Yum, sounds good, I bet my family will love it. I bet it would be good over tortilla chips too. Bookmarking this one.

Desi said...

MMM frito pie! I have made one before and we loved it so may have to try this one too! How do you display your photos so large? In blogger you can do large or xl but when I pick xl it spills over into my sidebar which is no good! Do you set all photos to a certain size and then when you upload them to your site do you just select original size?