Saturday, January 28, 2012

Fantastical Feature: Our Best Bites cookbook

Today is the start of a new Fantastical Feature meme. I feel like I may do a lot of things (Sunday Social, Pinteresting Weds., Twisted Thursday), but I do want to start featuring some cookbooks as well. I figure this will also keep cooking fun for me and not make it solely a job.

I have a bookshelf of cookbooks and don't plan on stopping the pile any time soon. I wanted to start with one of my favorite cookbooks: Our Best Bites.

{via}

It comes from Sara & Kate of Our Best Bites. It's one of my favorites because I can flip through the pages and find that with each page there is something I want to try more than the last page. All of the recipes look good and I can't wait to cook all of them. What follows is what we tried:

Puffed Up French Toast on p.64
This French toast was great - you use Texas toast and fry them up basically. They were fluffy and light! Plus you dip them in cinnamon sugar :)


Chili-Lime Fauxtisserie Chicken on p.111
My husband particularly enjoyed this one. He loves whole chicken and limes, right along with lemons, are one of his favorite things to use on main dish food. There are a few variations of the Fauxtisserie chicken - this is the first variation we tried and it was great!


Carmelized Bacon Green Beans on p.188
These green beans had a bit of an Asian flare to them, using soy sauce. I thought they were phenomenal! My husband was pleasantly surprised by them. He said he wasn't too sure by just looking at them, but upon tasting them, they are definitely his new favorite side dish! I loved that Sara & Kate included directions for frozen green beans, as our produce isn't really in tip-top shape right now.


Italian Meatballs on p.163
In the future, I plan on making a double batch and freezing these beauts. I am not a huge fan of sausage. In fact, I pretty much will refuse to eat it. However, when I make recipes for the first time, I try to stick to what it calls for and the directions. I loved these meatballs. They were incredible! I made them to use in the Italian Meatball Soup.


Italian Meatball Soup on p.105
This is, by far, our new favorite soup and new favorite recipe. It was simple to make and it made quite a bit, so much so, that we froze it and will be popping it into the crockpot for another night! The meatballs were amazing, the spinach was such a nice touch to this soup, and it was perfect for a cold night in New York. Out of all the recipes tried from the Our Best Bites cookbook, this one is #1 on my list. I'm sure my husband and kids would agree as well.


This cookbook definitely deserves 5 utensils! It's a must-buy!

No comments :