Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Guest Post: A Day in the Life of a Mom & a Wife

**I'm happy to share today's guest poster, my friend Melissa. She blogs over at A Day in the Life of a Mom and a Wife. Show her lots of love!** 

Hi guys! I'm Melissa.
Yep, that's me & my beautiful 2 inches of roots I'm showing you.


My blog is mostly just random life stuff about kids, husbands, crafty things, sewing, tattoos, pictures, beauty products, nerdy book stuff, and a little cooking here and there. You can read a little more about me & my family here and here.

If you are a fan of Sarah's blog then you are obviously pretty awesome. I'm pretty awesome too, so I hope you enjoy my blog!

I just love Pinterest, don't you? You should follow me over there & we can obsessively repin each other's super duper awesome amazing pins! I could spend hours over there. Sometimes I do, but I try to just pin a few things & then walk away from the computer. Riiiiiiiiight.

Anyways, I pinned this recipe a few months ago because it sounded like something easy, cheap, and yummy that my kids would love. They aren't very picky eaters and they usually eat whatever I make them. They could absolutely live off of some kind of chicken, rice, & veggies every night. If I make something like that they are guaranteed to clean their plates & ask for more. 

So here's the recipe I pinned for No Peek Chicken from Thrifty Decorating's blog.

1 box Uncle Ben's Long Grain Wild Rice (original recipe-do not just use plain rice!)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can water 
(You can add another can of water for moister rice.)
Chicken breasts or tenders

Sounds easy enough, right? Here's her directions & my pictures:

In a greased 9 x 13 pan, mix the box of rice, cans of celery and mushroom soup and 
one can of water. (I used 1 1/2 & it was pretty perfect).
Arrange the raw chicken on top of the rice mixture & season to your liking.

Cover and seal with foil.
(don't judge the dirty oven...you know yours looks like that too).

Bake at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours and don't peek!
Your house will smell amazing.
(I cooked it for more like 2 hours).

It's hard to get a good picture of a casserole type dish. Trust me...it smelled & tasted delicious!!!!!
I steamed some broccoli on the side because my kids absolutely love broccoli.

Don't you love his silly face?
I had 2 very happy kids.
Ayden said it was the best rice he's ever tasted.

I had to warn Lily to slow down & take smaller bites :)

Do you think it was a hit with them? This was after their second helping!

I have to admit, it was pretty dang tasty. I made it on a Friday night because my husband works late on Fri & Sat and I usually just make something easy for me & the kids and he fends for himself. I honestly didn't think he would be into this because he can be a little picky sometimes and I never know how a new recipe is going to go over with him. I put the leftovers in the fridge (we had enough for almost 2 whole meals!) and completely forgot about them when he came home later. He found the dish in the fridge & looked at it and said "You made dinner?!" He heated up a plate of it and devoured it. I guess he liked it too! I asked if I made this on Fridays if he would eat the leftovers when he got home and he said "YES!!!!" So it looks like this will be added to my list of staple meals for our house. The kids ate this on Saturday night too & I saved the rest for Shayne when he got home. They are already asking when I'm going to make it again. Next time I might add just one extra chicken breast & that would probably be enough for us for 2 meals.

It was super easy to make, the ingredients were inexpensive, and everyone loved it. Win, win, win! Hooray for dinners that everyone likes! And that require little preparation :) 

No comments :