Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Southern Style Collards

My first attempt at collards and my second time eating them. Not too shabby if you ask me. I think they were a little heavy on the red pepper flakes, but that is an easy fix :)

We paired this with the chicken waffle sandwiches because Jeff Mauro did that on the episode where he made the waffle sandwiches :)


(Print)
What you need:
  • 8 oz. bacon, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 to 2 bunches collard greens
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp. red pepper flakes*
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:

Cook bacon in a skillet; place on a paper towel lined plate and set aside. 
Drain some of the grease, if necessary.

Add red bell to skillet and saute for 5 to 7 minutes.

Add collards, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
Toss with bacon and serve.
*I am going to use half this amount next time. The bite of the vinegar with the spice of the flakes was a bit much.
Recipe from Jeff Mauro

{Click here to see what blog hops I participate in}

No comments :